Monday, July 18, 2011

Dead Space 2 Review

I recently just got a triple SLI setup going, with three GTX 480 cards, now that they have dropped down to just $249.99, or even $219.99 for some retailers. One of the first games I decided to test out is a favorite of mine. The original Dead Space definitely has a place in my heart as one of my favorite games. I'm a big fan of over shoulder third person shooters, such as this game and Resident Evil 5.

Gameplay:
Gameplay in Dead Space 2 can be described as simple but sweet. Controls are easy to get use to, and they definitely surpass the controls in the original Dead Space. In the original, the game would got bezerk with V-sync enabled. I played Dead Space 2 with vertical sync disabled, and hardly noticed any screen tearing. The variety of guns in the game or of many and each being unique from another. Honestly, I was a little dissapointed to learn that the entire game could be beat with just the plasma cutter, which is quite sad and makes you want to ask, 'what's the point of the others?'. Sure they're fun to play with, but I like my weapons to be needed and be essential in certain situations, making each one important and playing a vital part for different portions of the game. Other than that, the camera works great with this gameplay style.


Levels:
The levels in the game are very well designed and more detailed then one could hope for. I discovered portions of the game that were beautiful, such as looking through a window to see the exterior of the station you are on. And I thought, 'so much of this must go unnoticed by the average gamer'. But not me! I tried to appreciate all the graphical glory that the game displayed by going through every corridor. Some of the areas are a little bland and can feel very enclosed, but it isn't too bad.

Story:
The story isn't anything to love over. The voice acting is well done and the character animations, and even the facial expressions, were given thought and were obviously done by some talents graphics artists. I'm on my second play through now, so I know most of the story, but I soon forgot about it even after my first play through. It isn't really all too memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment